ADHD Dubai: Causes, Symptoms, and Treatment
What is ADHD?
ADHD-Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder is one of the most common neurodevelopmental disorders that begins in childhood and can persist into adulthood. This chronic condition makes it difficult for patients to control their behavior and often results in hyperactivity, attention difficulty, and impulsiveness. Dr. Arif Khan is an experienced neurologist renowned for treating ADHD in Dubai.
What causes ADHD?
The possible causes and risk factors of ADHD are as follows:
- Familial and hereditary
- Brain injury
- Exposure to environmental risks at a young age
- Alcohol and tobacco use during pregnancy
- Premature delivery
- Low birth weight
What are the symptoms of ADHD?
The symptoms of ADHD include:
- Excessive fidgeting
- Inability to concentrate
- Being unable to sit still in calm surroundings
- Excessive physical movement
- Impulsiveness and extreme impatience
- Poor time management
How is ADHD treated?
Standard ADHD treatment in Dubai includes behavior therapies, brain training services, and medications.
Applied Behavioral Analysis (ABA) Therapy
ABA is a significant part of ADHD treatment protocol that practices techniques to change the functional behavior of ADHD children. It is classified into discrete modules that are given below:
- Differential reinforcement behavior– Differential reinforcement reinforces a target behavior while withholding reinforcement (reward) from unwanted behavior.
- Discrete trial training and task analysis– It includes breaking down complex behavior into simple reinforcement tests to seek desired outcomes one by one.
- Self Management training-It includes self-appreciation methods and toolkits to calm the ADHD patient’s hyperactivity.
In this therapy, older children talk about issues that bother them, explore negative behavior patterns, and learn to deal with their symptoms.
In addition, Dr. Arif also encourages family therapy which helps parents and siblings deal with having someone who has ADHD.
Brain training is an intellectually stimulating or brain-boosting exercise that helps a child feel happy, empowered, motivated, and enjoy the learning experience. In addition, the brain training enhances their communication, and in turn, helps to control and modify their behavioral presentation such as hyperactivity, anger, and brain freeze.
ADHD medication in Dubai most commonly includes the following stimulant drugs:
Methylphenidate is one of the most commonly used medicine for ADHD. It is a central nervous system stimulant that contributes to hyperactivity and impulse control.
It works by raising the levels of certain brain chemicals that help improve concentration and focus and reduce hyperactivity.
The other drugs prescribed commonly for ADHD treatment are Dexamfetamine, Atomoxetine, and Guanfacine.
A Note For parents
Parents play a great role in decreasing the severity of ADHD in their children. Given below are some points to keep in mind while helping your child to overcome this disorder:
- If you are considering medications, take the guidance of a trained physician. Also, give your child medications carefully and keep them locked in a childproof container.
- Inform the school about your child’s medical condition.
- Show your child a lot of affection and reward them for their good behavior.
- Always be connected with the doctor who would be by your side in helping you and your child overcome their ADHD symptoms.
Dr. Arif Khan is a renowned consultant pediatric neurologist, founder, and director at Neuropedia, the region’s first comprehensive children’s neuroscience center. He has more than 13 years of expertise, and to this date, he has helped many children with various deficits such as ADHD, Autism, speech, and behavior-related problems. So, if you’re looking for ADHD treatment in Dubai, book an appointment with Dr. Khan and discuss one-on-one your child’s problem.