Speech delay therapy in Dubai
Speech delay is a term typically used to describe children who are delayed in acquiring the ability to speak a language clearly. In other words, speech delay is a condition where a child does not speak at an expected age. It can be caused by several factors, including neurological and developmental problems. Speech delays can often lead to frustration for both parents and children when trying to communicate with each other. Speech delay could be also combined type where there is difficulty in receptive and expressive ability.
What are the causes of speech delay?
The causes of speech delay are as follows:
- Hearing loss
- Medical conditions such as ankyloglossia (tongue-tie)
- Lack of stimulation
- Autism spectrum disorder
- Neurological problems, such as cerebral palsy, muscular dystrophy, and traumatic brain injury.
- Intellectual disabilities
What are the symptoms of speech delay?
The symptoms of speech delay in a toddler include:
- Difficulty with creating certain sounds, particularly D, L, R, S, T, and Z.
- Inability to use 25 words by the time they are two years old, and 200 words by the time they are three.
- Reluctance in asking for things by their names.
- Inability to speak words that they had previously learned.
Speech delay therapy typically consists of one-on-one sessions, often with a speech-language pathologist. The speech delay therapy in Dubai may also include expertise from the other specialists like the
- Occupational Therapist
- Applied behavior analysis therapy
How can parents help?
Recognizing and treating speech delay at its early stage is the best approach. In addition to finding a speech therapist who will work with them on a plan for their child, given below are some practices that parents should exercise to help their kids:
- Be aware of the signs of speech delay.
- Provide an environment that supports language development, such as exposing your child to everyday sounds and words.
- Encourage speech by speaking slowly and precisely.
- Read to your child. Also, talk about the pictures as you go.
- Note and understand the different sounds their child is making and what they are trying to say.
Dr. Arif Khan is the best pediatric neurologist in Dubai for speech therapy treatments. His team at Neuropedia works with the parents, teachers, and everyone associated with a speech-troubled children to create a holistic treatment plan. His aim is always to offer care that not just treats the condition but improves the child’s personality and behavior for the better.